Texas History Postcard Database Project

  0001 to 0100     0101 to 0200     0201 to 0300     0301 to 0400     0401 to 0500  
  0501 to 0600     0601 to 0700     0701 to 0800     0801 to 0900     0901 to 1000  
  1001 to 1100     1101 to 1200     1201 to 1300     1301 to 1400     1401 to 1500  
  1501 to 1600     1601 to 1700     1701 to 1800     1801 to 1900     1901 to 2000  
  2001 to 2100     2101 to 2200     2201 to 2300     2301 to 2400     2401 to 2500  
  2501 to 2600     2601 to 2700     2701 to 2800     2801 to 2900     2901 to 3000  
  3001 to 3100     3101 to 3200     3201 to 3300     3301 to 3400     3401 to 3500  
  3501 to 3600     3601 to 3700     3701 to 3800     3801 to 3900     3901 to 4000  
  4001 to 4100     4101 to 4200     4201 to 4300     4301 to 4400     4401 to 4500  
  4501 to 4556          

Loaded Images



Set Width Factor of these pictures

Make Fit Your Screen

Set By Pixel: 300px 500px 700px 900px 1100px
Set By Screen Percentage:    20 % 40 % 60 % 80 % 100 %



Currently Viewing Postcards: 0101 to 0200

Currently Viewing Section: 1 to 25







Boyce Ditto Public Library
Date:unknown
Shown here is the photograph of a postcard from Palo Pinto, Texas. The front has a photograph of a lake, trees, and a dirt road. The back of the card card has "Brown Road Scenes", and handwritten correspondence, that is not presented here.




Boyce Ditto Public Library
Date:1915?
A postcard of Mesquite Street, taken from Throckmorton Street [In 2008: NE 1st Avenue from NE 1st Street] Note the Post Office, completed August 1913, at end of the newly-paved street. The trolley tracks were removed in 1913, the street paved, and sidewalks installed in 1914. The street names were changed in 1920.




Boyce Ditto Public Library
Date:1905/1906
Shown here is a postcard, reading "Mosquito Street [actually Mesquite Street], Looking North, Mineral Wells, Texas." Please note the Chautauqua Theater (1905-1912) at the end of the street. This picture was taken before street car tracks were installed in 1907. Also note the the absence of cars on the street--only horses and buggies.




Boyce Ditto Public Library
Date:1950?
A photograph of a collage in a Mineral Wells Area Chamber of Commerce advertisement includes a postcard that pictures points of interest in and about the city. Pictured are: An aerial view of Camp Wolters, the Recreation Center showing a theater, gymnasium, and PX, with an inset of the base hospital; Possum Kingdom Dam and part of the eponymous lake; a local beauty queen; an aerial view of downtown Mineral Wells, Texas; Lake Mineral Wells (with the island that was inundated when the dam was subsequently raised); a view from Inspiration Point south of the city; and the Baker Hotel. The text publicizes the various assets and tourist attractions to be found in and around the "City Built on Water." One photograph in the collage is upside-down.




Boyce Ditto Public Library
Date:1909?
This postcard, taken around 1909, features the Mineral Wells High School football team. Please note the guards, hanging around their necks, that were used to protect the noses of the players. Those guards were held in place by means of a strap that went around the head, and were further kept in place by clenching the teeth on a rubber bit on the inside of the guard. The back of the card lists the players' names from top left: 1) Jessie Turner, 2) Tulane Smith, 3) J.C. Hayes, 4) Faburt Holmes , 5) George Oliver, 6) Blake Turner, 7) Bertram Hedrich, 8) Lamar McNew, and 9) Mr. Dinsmore. Front row 10) Carodine Hootin 11) Gordon Whatley, 12) Vernon Durham, 13) Fred McClurhin, 14) Achie Holdrige, 15) Chester Baughn, and 16) Hugh Brewster. Jess Turner(1) was later a member of Mineral Wells' only undefeated team in 1912. C.N. Turner, father of teammates Jess(1) and Blake Turner(6), purchased one of the early telephone companies in Palo Pinto County. He operated it with his sons as a family business. Jess Turner became a pioneer in the telephone business, and purchased the other family interests in 1924 to become sole owner of the family enterprise. His son, Jess Turner, Jr., operated the telephone company following World war II, relinquishing his position in October of 1975. A modern viewer of this picture might be startled by the lack of body armor, but it must be remembered that during the early decades of the twentieth century football was a blood sport. Injuries--even fatalities--on the field were an expected event. Many university presidents had disbanded teams (after numerous fatalities on the field) and banned the sport from their campuses. The first Rose Bowl game (Stamford versus. Ann Arbor) in 1903 was such a brutal rout that the ...




Boyce Ditto Public Library
Date:unknown
An illustration of the Service Club at Camp Wolters, which was located just outside Mineral Wells, Texas is shown here. Once the largest Infantry Replacement Training Center during World War II, Camp [later Fort] Wolters was re-opened during the Korean Conflict, and again during the Vietnam War. This portrait of the service club is probably a photograph taken from an old picture postcard.




Boyce Ditto Public Library
Date:unknown
This picture is taken from a postcard claiming that the "Welcome" sign on East Mountain is "reputed to be the largest non-commercial electric sign in U.S." It has been claimed that the "Hollywood" sign was inspired by the "Welcome" sign, but this is likely a folk legend. (The preceding picture is a black and white original of this tinted picture. A more complete description may be found there.)




Cistercian Preparatory School
Date:unknown
Postcard with two photographs of the Cistercian Preparatory School Middle School and gymnasium buildings. Each building has two stories and is in a different style of architecture. On the back of the postcard are the address of the school, the postcard publisher's information, a box for a stamp, and the words, "Post Card."




City of Grapevine
Date:August 10, 1950
Postcard with a printed advertisement for Jay Lee Food Store in Grapevine, Texas; the ad shows prices for various items for the days "Fri. - Sat. - Aug. 11-12."




Clark Hotel Museum
Date:1928~
Photographic postcard of filling station. Photographic postcard of Cactus Filling Station with two men (D.H. McVay and S.A. Small) and two cars, in Van Horn,TX. Text on postcard reads,"Elevation 4036 ft., Van Horn - Texas, Ladies Rest Room, Pure Water, Road Information, Free Ice Water, The Cactus Twins"




Clark Hotel Museum
Date:unknown
Postcard of hotel. Postcard of El Capitan Hotel in Van Horn,TX.




Clark Hotel Museum
Date:unknown
Photographic postcard of courthouse. Photographic postcard of Culberson County Courthouse, prior to 1967. Van Horn, TX




Clark Hotel Museum
Date:unknown
Photographic postcard of fictitious animal. Photographic postcard of Jackalope from the Club Cafe of Van Horn, TX




Cleveland Historical Society
Date:unknown
Postcard of the historic 100 block of North Travis Street of Cleveland, Texas in 1909. Behind a tall, narrow wooden pole in the foreground are three buildings situated side to side. The building on the far right is the Wright Hotel.




Cleveland Historical Society
Date:unknown
Postcard of the Cleveland Grammar School, a two-story building with numerous windows. A large group of children are standing in front of the building amidst the grove of trees just outside the school.




Cleveland Historical Society
Date:unknown
Postcard of the Cleveland City Jail in the early 1900s. Four men are standing in front of the jail, which is a small, rectangular building.




Cleveland Historical Society
Date:unknown
Postcard of the Ed Garvey Saloon, a historic site in Cleveland, Texas. A group of men are standing in a queue in front of the saloon, which is a two-story building. There is a small shed in front.




Cleveland Historical Society
Date:unknown
Postcard of the Wright Hotel, a two-story hotel originally located at the corner of Houston Street and North Travis Street in Cleveland, Texas. It was destroyed by a fire in 1915.




Cleveland Historical Society
Date:unknown
Postcard of the Southern Pacific Depot in 1917. Five men are standing in front of the building, which is a one-story building. The railroad is visible running from left to right next to the depot.




Coleman Public Library
Date:1883~
Postcard featuring Commercial Avenue looking north towards the Coleman Courthouse. A mule team is in the center of the street and wagons are in front of stores on either side of the road.




Coleman Public Library
Date:1883~
Postcard of the courthouse and jail of Coleman, Texas. The image has been colorized, with the roof of the courthouse building tinted pink.




Coleman Public Library
Date:1907
Postcard featuring Dr. Manker, Mildred McClellan, Amelia Alexander, and Dr. Crawford sitting on the front steps of a house. Handwriting on the postcard indicates that they were spending the month at Monteagle, Tennessee.




Coleman Public Library
Date:1883~
Postcard featuring a tinted image of Coleman High School. The brick building has three floors and a central belfry. The top two floors are tinted pink.




Coleman Public Library
Date:192u
Postcard featuring Walter M. Woodward standing with Bernice Gaines in front of a painted backdrop. Woodward wears a child's tuxedo and Gaines wears a child-sized wedding dress.




Coleman Public Library
Date:unknown
A photograph of Mary McClellan when she was a very young girl. She is wearing a white dress and is standing outside of a house beside a broad-leafed plant.




Set Width Factor of these pictures

Make Fit Your Screen

Set By Pixel: 300px 500px 700px 900px 1100px
Set By Screen Percentage:    20 % 40 % 60 % 80 % 100 %



Currently Viewing Postcards: 0101 to 0200

Currently Viewing Section: 1 to 25